St. Andrew’s United Church – Toronto ON


The Westminster building that was the home of St. Andrew’s after 1950 had been built in 1923, after the original 1891 structure on the site was destroyed by fire in 1920. In the mid-1970s great debate arose in the congregation about the state of the church. It was low on funds, but sitting on some of the most expensive real estate in Canada. After considerable discussion it was decided to demolish the old church, build an office tower above, and relocate the congregation to the lower level of the new complex. The redevelopment was completed in 1981 although the design of the final project changed considerably.

The existing church, 117 Bloor St. East is a separate building facing Bloor St. and is set back into the urban courtyard, St. Andrew’s Square. It is adjacent to the office tower, 121 Bloor St. East. A portion of the old church was retained by the city of Toronto and is now located further south on Yonge Street marking the entrance to McGill Street. Several other United Churches chose the same path in this period such as College Street United Church and Parkdale United Church.

Similar Posts
Free Spirit Sphere Treehouse – Qualicum Bay, British Columbia
RCMP Chapel – Regina SK
East Van Neighbour Marker
Horseshoe Lodge Postcard – Swift Current, Saskatchewan
Canoe Landing Park – Toronto, Ontario
Totem Chair