Ring Gear Monument – Vancouver, British Columbia

Photo: Steven Ballegeer

Inscription: This monument commemorates the swing span bridges that once crossed False Creek and the industries that once thrived on its shores. Up until the 1970’s, False Creek was ringed by major industrial activity including sawmills, shipyards and railyards.

By 1892 wooden bridges had been built at Granville, Cambie and Main Streets. These first bridges were barely wide enough for two horse-drawn wagons to pass. At that time, False Creek extended eastward nearly to Clark Drive, and Granville and Cambie Bridges had center spans that swung open to allow ships to enter False Creek.

Today’s Cambie Bridge is the third in this location. The first bridge was built privately in 1891 by Leamy and Kyle for delivery of lumber to the city from their sawmill as the south shore of False Creek. The gear forming this monument was part of the second Cambie Bridge which opened in 1911. Installed horizontally on the center pier, the gear supported the steel truss swing span. In 1912, this bridge was named the Connaught Bridge by Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Connaught. It remained in service until November 1984 when the present bridge was constructed by the City Engineering Department.

Similar Posts
Rainbow Tunnel – Toronto, Ontario
The Ontario Association of Architects Logo
Stoney Creek Bridge – British Columbia
“Interpretation of Calgary, Alberta in the 21st Century,” Installation
Aga Khan Museum – Toronto, Ontario
Johnson Street Bridge (concept) – Victoria, British Columbia
Recreation Centre – Prince Albert, Saskatchewan