New Brunswick Coat of Arms

new-brunswick-coat-of-arms.jpg

The Shield was augmented on September 25, 1984, by Royal Warrant granted by Queen Elizabeth II in honour of New Brunswick’s bicentennial.

The Crest, comprised of an Atlantic salmon leaping from a gold, maple-leaf coronet and supporting the crown of St. Edward, rests upon a gold royal helmet. This helmet is generally reserved for the Arms of the Royal Family and its Dominions, but was granted special favour by the Queen in honour of the bicentennial. A gold and red mantling, secured to the coronet by a wreath, borrow their colours from the shield and represent protection from the sun.

The Supporters, two white-tailed deer, each wear a friendship collar of Maliseet wampum to which are attached 2 small shields. The left shield comprises the Union Badge and represents New Brunswick’s English heritage as well as the Irish and Scot settlers who played such a prominent role in the province’s early history. The right shield comprises the Royal Arms of France and represents France’s original settlement and rule. The deer stand upon a grassy mound covered with the provincial flower, the purple violet, and budding ostrich fern, more commonly known as ‘fiddleheads’.

The Motto, SPEM REDUXIT, is commonly translated as ‘Hope Restored’, representing the establishment of New Brunswick as a ‘home for refugee settlers’ when a vast influx of United Empire Loyalists flowed into the area following their expulsion from the newly-formed United States in 1784.

Source: Goweezer

Similar Posts
Hinterland Who’s Who TV Spots
Canadian Animal Series II
O Canada Anthem (Sheet music and LP)
Largest Canadian Flag – Vancouver, British Columbia
Remembrance Poppy
The Charter of Rights and Freedoms
Giller Prize